2 tablespoons – olive oil
2 – medium onions, chopped
4 cloves – garlic, minced
2 – stalks celery, diced
2 – medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
1 cup – mushrooms, chopped
2 cups – uncooked rice
1 (3 pound chicken) – cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
1 teaspoon – salt (OPTIONAL)
3 ½ cups – chicken broth, fat removed
4 cups water
3 – medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup – frozen peas
1 cup – frozen corn
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick pot. Add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 minutes until tender.
2. Add the rice and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to brown.
3. Add the chicken the salt, chicken broth, water, saffron, and tomatoes. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium to low and let simmer.
4. Cover the pot and let the casserole simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Stir peas, corn, and beans and cook 8 to 10 minutes. When everything is hot casserole is ready to serve. Garnish with olives
or capers, if desired.